



Today was a fantastic day in London- the rain held off until I came out at High Street Kensington tube station after the blogger dinner, and it was warm all day.
We started off with a walk towards the Earls' Court to see if a longer walk was worth avoiding a change of tube trains to go to Heathrow tomorrow with all the luggage. The result was a resounding yes. Along the way, a funny thing happened: we met a nice lady walking her beautiful golden retriever, and made small talk with her as we walked, until her dog pressed her to a faster pace than our leisurely stroll. She excused herself, and I kept wondering why she looked vaguely familiar to me. At the Earls' Court Road, I suggested to Austin that while we were in the neighbourhood, could we go down to Logan Place, where Freddie Mercury lived, just to see the house again, and we took a quick turn to do so. Up ahead of us, the same lady and her retriever turned into the Mercury house as we were coming up to the first gated door, and it hit me that we had been chatting with his longtime girlfriend Mary Austin, who inherited the house and his estate after he passed away. No wonder she had looked vaguely familiar.
We took a stroll through my beloved Brompton Cemetery and took some pictures of the Victorian stone statues and the overly-friendly squirrels. I love the peacefulness of the walk across the gravestones- I know that sounds strange, but it's quite a beautiful walk.
We headed towards the Embankment area and went to visit the Temple Church, built in the 1100s for the Knights Templar and made famous by DaVinci Code. We had quite the history lesson from the curator. We then took another leisurely stroll to the Wesminster Abbey, which I hadn't visited in a long time, and for the first time I became very aware of the tourist throngs. It was enjoyable still, though. Took the tube back to the hotel and had a late lunch and an even later swim, and then went off for the blogger dinner at As Greek As It Gets.
Marietta can certainly choose a good restaurant, and we had a fabulous time together. Marc and Jill were sweet and funny, as were James and Jonathan, and I just adore Marietta for making all these arrangements to meet up with me and make this London stop so fantastic.
I've got to go pack now, as we fly out to Berlin tomorrow. Wednesday night, I am meeting some of the German Who fans at a pub pre-show and then getting my Who fix!!!! I hope everyone's doing well out there!
11 comments:
What an nice encounter for a Queen fan to have.
The Who were featured on the news tonight, (didn't get chance to save it) because of the new single. Apparently its 11 minutes long?
Have a safe flight back.
glad you have had a really good time..well deserved..i love old graveyards too, there is so much history in those places...have a fab time in germany...im so envious..im small enough to sneak inside your case...>:0)...
Wow,Anne Marie, that must have been great to 'meet' Mary. Just another 'nice lady' walking her golden retriever.
Am quite envious of you going to the blogger dinner! What fun, and so good of Marietta to think of it too.
Still, the big excitement is to come in the next week, hey? Have a great time in Germany, dear.
Wow cool about just bumping into Mary Austin! That's how it was for us as well... strange odd co-incidences one after another.
Reading this makes me miss the UK even more! I've just finished editing some film clips I'm putting up on my blog. I've got one clip up with Earl's Court station at the very begining called UK transport.
The fewer stations to manage with suitcases the better for sure... unless they have handicap lifts. We went out of terminal 4 which the tube trains are not yet connected to. We took the tube bus from hatton cross (I think it was) and it was easy to pick up.
Have a safe and wonderful journey to Germany!
Hi Anne Marie, just wanted to say how much we enjoyed meeting with you last night. The time went so fast as it always does in good company. Marietta is so sweet to organise it, I think she has to become our Social Sec! Hope you have a brill time in Germany and a smooth trip home. Just maybe we'll get to meet again someday
Jill
It was a unique pleasure to meet you and I'm a little sad you had to go ::sob::
Hope we meet again soon, have lots of fun in Germany and enjoy Das Who!
♥
xoxoxo
M
The blinner looked fab, nice photos on Marietta's blog, glad you all had fun.
And Freddie's girlfriend, wow, synchroncity! What a treat.
I'm getting excited for you, for the Who gig. Who know's maybe you'll meet Pete's girlfriend, lets hope so!
great!
i'm going to london too, tomorrow
untill friday :)
sorry, haven't posted for a while ;)
greets Elke!
x
Dear Anne-Marie
Well, I hope your barometer is feeling better...
That is way cool about meeting, strolling & chatting with Mary Austin. For you being such a Freddie fan it must have been extra special!
I am sure Marietta is all & more than what I know of her! She sounds like so much fun! Did it feel quite like a reunion at the blinner?
Have fun in Berlin!
Love
Dale
Sounds like you are "having a lovely time"...wish I was there!!!
I have got to get to London! ASAP! That is so cool that you ran into Freddie's girlfriend! Small world!
Have fun in Berlin!
Post a Comment