Perhaps I should have named this entry "Impatience" because I possess that quality in greater abundance than its counterpart. I am not what you would call a 'wait-and-see' person when there are loose ends that need to be tied, or situations that aren't fully developed, worked out, or revealed to me. Instead, I tend to overthink things, worry, imagine a dozen of the worst scenarios possible, and generally work myself into a lather until the truth is revealed and things unfold as they should. This process doesn't change, whether we're talking about conflicts, puzzles, or problems. Nor does it matter whether or not I am directly involved in the matter at hand: I am a failure at waiting for anything longer than a day or two at best, although I will add that the yoga and breathing exercises I am leading my class of 10 and 11 year-olds through is making me learn a bit more tolerance for the things I cannot push. A bit. But only just.
Unsurprisingly, I am not much different when I have wonderful things to look forward to, which in the next four months, includes three out-of-country trips. The first two are quick getaways, one in late May to Cleveland for a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame girlie weekend with two recently-made, music-mad, middle-aged ladies who love their tunes, drinks, and food like I do. It promises to be a great road trip across the border and back.
My last visit to the RRHoF in Cleveland, summer of 2002. My tongue is ready to hang out again.
On the last day of school in June, I've optimistically booked an evening flight to New york City, to make up the visit that the 768th snowstorm (I stopped counting after that) of the winter season cancelled for me. I'll be meeting another rock music lover, this time from the Who family, and I'm excited to be going back. I have a great, ongoing love affair with NYC, and eight years is too long for such a close destination.
New York City, which I haven't seen since 2006.
In August, my husband and I will travel to Scotland for the second time. Our first visit in 2001 was magical, but I'll save talking about it for a future post. At the moment, I'm sorting out the tourist parts of it so we can then work in the more personal visits to meet new friends. The planning, which is necessary in order to connect all the destinations and people we want to see, only makes me more excited and therefore wishing for the time to speed up.
On the must-see list for Scotland: the Kelpies at the Helix.
Back to my impatience. This winter has been brutal and long, with no signs of letting up. Only in Canada can you go from 21 C to 3 C in a twenty-four hour period, as we will find out in a couple of days' time. The endless cold is the last of my reasons for wanting to hurry the seasons along. In my ideal world, we would rush past spring and go right to summer in our sandals, shorts, and skirts just in time for Easter, and then it would be a matter of weeks to start all the trips. It's a shame I can't just say 'Make it so' and have it happen.



2 comments:
I can so well relate to your impatience, Anne Marie. I have exactly the same tendencies and do all the worrying and fretting that you do too.
About the winter, though, anyone in Canada could be forgiven for wanting this one to end! How long and miserable it's been for you! I hope the spring scampers through to summer for you very very quickly! Lovely post, and lovely things to look forward to as well, especially beautiful Scotland! xx
It's a trait that I hate in myself and can't seem to get beyond, Val. I wish I didn't worry so much about others, as I'm sure it irritates the hell out of some of them that I do.
22 C today. Back into my winter coat by Tuesday. Madness...
Post a Comment