Here I am on Day 92 of my "lockdown", with random thoughts, observations, and reflections. I am quite aware that much of what I feel comes from the privilege of being retired since last summer. As a result of that, I am not as disrupted or affected by a lot of the hardships and struggles that others have experienced by the changes in routines, and nothing I've written is meant to minimise opposing reactions. I also know from various conversations with others in different positions (furloughed, working from home) that I'm not alone in my views, and that it's important for each one of us to respect our different perspectives. Stay well, everyone; we will get through this.
- I still like my own company.
- The muted world is so much more manageable when you have ADHD.
- I have not been bored even one day.
- I have found joy in simple, everyday tasks like gardening and walking the dog.
- It’s not grocery shopping that I hate, but being overly stimulated by other shoppers while I am there.
- The people I miss and those I thought I would miss are not necessarily the same people.
- Some of my closest and dearest friends live very far away.
- I have not spent much time in front of the television.
- Reading fiction continues to be a great source of joy.
- I really have generous, kind neighbours.
- Birdsong really is beautiful.
- My husband’s company is still a pleasure after 90+ days in very close quarters.
- We have never prepared or eaten more healthy food than we do now.
- I am not over eating or drinking, and I get decent exercise on a regular basis.
- I have been inspired by the words and actions of friends and family who have shown me kindness, or who have modelled the art of acceptance and the letting go of things we cannot change.
- I haven’t spent as much time online as I thought I would.
- I am thankful that we switched from a condo to a house a decade ago for the sanctuary of the yard.
- I’ve not found myself doing much online shopping.
- When the world returns to whatever new normal awaits us, I will jump right back into the pool, the concert venues, and onto an airplane to find my happy places.
- Music, water, and laughter are the most healing sounds on earth.
5 comments:
Incredible writing as usual. Sending you much love all the way from San Francisco...
I'm not retired, but I can echo many of these thoughts, Anne-Marie. However,I've enjoyed being in the company of colleagues this last two weeks. It's felt good to have that extra input again, and we are glad for the café owners that they can resume business. It's been a tough time for them and their smiles are broad at seeing their terraces busy again. I hope some kind of normal will reach you soon so you can get on that plane again, my dear. On the other side of the coin, I bet your lovely pooch is loving having his mum and dad at home so much. A lovely post as always!
Yes! I can so relate to this ... except the jumping on a plane bit 😁
That's an interesting, and heartening, list.
I myself have only recently felt the strain. Possibly because having already planned at the end of last year, to cut back on certain things such as so much "serious" painting which mostly gets rejected, and certain relationships, the gaps have become more noticeable.
But overall, I really can't (and don't) complain.
Thanks for the comments, everyone. I believe there will be losses and gains in our hearts and minds as we go through this, and that priorities will be part of some of the bigger changes. I am already feeling different on day 103 than I was when I wrote this, and not necessarily for the better right now. There are gentle waves, and rough waves, and we must just ride them and accept where we make landfall. Love to all of you. <3
Post a Comment