I am on edge, though. Not every moment, not every day, but it is there, driven by the convergence of three dominant elements of my personality.
As an empath, I am sensing the struggles of others around me and it is amplifying my own emotions in a negative manner that was largely absent in the warmer months when we could form social bubbles and enjoy what was the most glorious summer weather in years. As someone with ADHD, my tendencies to overthink and not be able to turn off my brain has caused an overload of dark scenarios and overlapping worries. And finally, as if these two major character traits weren’t enough to conspire against striving for a stable state of happiness or contentment, I am an extrovert, and the social animal that I have been my whole life is not able to play with others at the moment or for the foreseeable future, which overwhelms me at times with a sense of loneliness and isolation. Many of my closest friends are educators, and as they’ve returned to school and are drowning in work, I am back to pursuing the interests I had developed in my retirement, but without others around me to share them with, it’s challenging to my mental health.
So here I sit on the edge, visualising it like a riverbank, my legs dangling as I contemplate the water below while my brain attempts to make sense of what lies ahead. There are days with inexplicable tears, meanderings of the mind to despairing thoughts, and emptiness caused by the starvation for human contact beyond my sweet, kind, introverted Viking husband; there are however so many more moments of joy, banter and laughter, recollections of lovely memories of friends and places just out of reach, and interactions with generous neighbours and friends who manage to find safe ways to connect. For the imbalance that favours the positive aspects of my life, I am truly grateful. When the darkness temporarily overshadows the light, I give in to it and let the water submerge me, as I have learned that it is neither realistic nor possible to be happy or even content all of the time. It is important not to deny emotions, but to accept them without judgement and ride them out. Like waves in the ocean, they swell and eventually recede, and land where they will. The water dissipates over the more solid sand, and the cycle continues. It’s important to recognise that none of our feelings are permanent, much like the conditions we are being placed under right now. Better days are ahead, and I for one will appreciate what the edge is teaching me until they come.




7 comments:
I can't even begin to imagine how hard it is being an empath right now - dealing with my own emotions is hard enough as it is. Keep shining your light - you are a beacon to many, in these dark times.
I think it's hard for everyone right now, Rosemary, and in a bizarre sense, the isolation has protected me from the emotions of certain people as well. I particular find the distress and anxiety of my American friends intense as they prepare for their election next week, and it's largely why I've avoided a lot of social media. Thank you for the kind words. One day, when the madness ends, I will look forward to sharing ideas and laughter in person. Until then, take care. <3
I'm here if you need to lean on me. I'm pretty much a hermit in normal times, and the election? Well, I've done my part. That's all I can do.
It's a hard time, for sure. Especially when we hoped that we could move on from the pandemic like the rest of the world.... but with no predictable end in sight, the darkness is indeed on the horizon. Take care of yourself! You can do nothing for so many others who denigrate every effort to move beyond.
Thank you both for your kind reply. We are not as despairing up here in Canada, but I think the second wave is going to hit us all and we just need to ride it. Stay well.xx
Oh Anne-Marie, I can only imagine how tough it is for you now, but I applaud your attitude of riding the wave of emotions and letting them disperse on the beach of your life. You've expressed it beautifully. Thank heavens for vikings and dogs! The dark winter days are my greatest challenge at the moment; that and my tendency to play the 'what if' game. Our second wave is fairly scary at the moment. We'll get there, though. Sending you hugs and love.
Sending you big hugs right back, Val. I see the numbers rising in Europe and know we are not far behind you. I hope you all stay well and safe until the skies open up again and life resumes a more normal pace. Much love from here, and thank you as always for the kind words about my writing. xx
Post a Comment