We made it into London without any problems- beautifully calm flight across the pond, even managed to sleep, and are now in Kensington, one of my favourite neighbourhoods in one of my favourite cities. We had dinner in a nice French cafe, and then walked off the brie by crossing Kensington gardens all the way past Buckingham Palace and then around towards Victoria. Had a pint at the Bag O' Nails pub and watched the remainder of the Germany-Portugal 3rd place match while the sore feet took a break, and then tubed home.
I love this city, always have since my first time here in 1972- it is so green, so full of beautiful parks and I am surrounded by the details of Georgian architecture that I adore. People have always said that Londoners are cold and uncaring, funny how I've never seen that side of them. the same is said about New Yorkers and Parisians, and those are two of my other favourite cities and people as well.
Tomorrow, we're going to find the Victoria & Albert museum and then, if the weather is nice, grab a picnic lunch and afternoon read in one of the great parks before venturing to the pub to watch the WC finals. I am looking forward to hanging out with the lovely Marietta tomorrow night.
Thanks for your kind wishes, all, and I hope you're all having nice weekends as well.
8 comments:
Hi Anne-Marie
I was wondering where you were blogging from...
LOL - I'll bet London's version of "tubing" is vastly different than Toronto's winter sport!
It sounds like you're having a marvelous time already!!!
I feel like I'm there with you - almost.
It's still stinkin' hot here & thank goodness for the lake! It's still green, too.
I believe there is a (sort of) song about the Bag O' Nails...
Looking forward to your next post!
Love
Dale
Hi Anne,
So that's where you were going! Darn it! everyone else is going to London except for me!
Have a great time! I look foward to hearing about it and seeing pictures.
Hi Anne-Marie,
Glad you had a good journey!
There are some great exhibitions on at the V&A at the moment, one on 60's fashion and one on Modernism. Would really like to catch them myself.
Have a great afternoon, you may have to hold tight to your paper it's a little windy out there today!
Hey Anne Marie
So good to hear from you and in my home town too! I always say I'm a country girl, but I have a deep affection for the cities I've lived in, and London was where I was born and grew up. Very special. You're right about Londoners too. Koos has always remarked on how friendly everyone is there...so much for the stiff upper lip reputation!
Have a great time tonight and give Marietta a big hug from Koos. He still talks about meeting her and what a lovely person she is!
I'll keep looking out for your posts too, but this wireless link in Belgium is a bit iffy! I'll be home again tomorrow though.
Love
Val
Aw have an awesome time in London!!!!!
I love Londoners, I've found them to be very friendly. I have a funny story about one man I met at the Paddington Station ticket counter, but I better not share it here! (It's rated G - nothing happened, but it was weird because we both saw sparks - it was just a good ego boost. He was this gorgeous black man with dreads...sigh. I'm a good girl - just a big flirt, that's all!).
Can you see if he's still there?? hee hee hee KIDDING!! LOL
London is my fave city in the entire world (and I've seen a bit of it!).
Are you going to see the Who by any chance??
Keep us posted...don't be like me! :)
Take care!
Love,
Sue D.
Hi Anne-Marie,
Wow, I'm shocked to see such a prompt posting up on your blog! I love London too, since I was first there in 1993. I did find the people colder than in Scotland (where we were the week before), but not to the extent everyone says - as you say, it's no different from New York in that respect.
*le sigh*...I am so jealous.... *L*
wow! anne marie you are on our soils...welcome my friend...hope you enjoy it all...im from the north so london is native to me but i have been and i love the old architecture too..
Hi Anne-Marie,
Yeah, I've not encountered rudeness or unfriendliness in London. V&A is a pretty cool museum must say. A bit new for me, though hehe ;)
I agree about Zidane, such a shame the way his career ended. The Italian guy must have said something very bad to him to make him lose it like that but still, a player like him should be able to control himself...
Maria
Post a Comment