We are already heading into fall weather wise, and as I sit outside on the deck preparing for an afternoon of final book editing and possible school work under a warmish sun and bright skies, I can feel the difference in temperatures and resent that I need a sweater and long pants to stay comfortable in the outside office where I love to write. The cats and the dog are swirling about, and while the plants are still enjoying the natural world, I fear it may soon be time to bring inside for good. I am and will always be a lover of hot, humid summer weather, and I am thankful that we enjoyed a magnificent holiday season these past two months.
Whiskey enjoying the yard.
Creemore helping with the edits.
The last time I updated my blog, I had recovered from a rather serious fall and was lamenting the closing of my workout pool. It seems fitting to then explain that two months later, I am recovering from another falling accident that occurred in late August on the Scottish isle of Arran, this time on a bicycle. Luckily, with a helmet and slowish speed, I managed to only bruise and batter my left elbow and arm, as well as the matching knee and leg. No concussion once again and no broken bones. As much as those pesky Chinese zodiac monkeys are trying to bring me down this year, I am like a stubborn little phoenix who keeps rising from the ashes. In this case, it was a gravel road in a beautiful corner of the world, surrounded by two people I love and trust, and with the help of a sweet family who came to my rescue and administered first aid on the spot. In keeping with the Year of the Monkey theme, it came as no surprise to me that the woman who tended to my wounds and then drove me (and the bike) back to our hotel was born in the Dragon year of the Chinese zodiac. I just need to continue to surround myself with these calendar saviours and I just may survive this year intact. It is also quite fitting this year’s theme that upon my return to Toronto, the pool had another mechanical issue and was forced to close for three weeks.
Lucky to have only needed minor first aid after the fall in Arran.
All bruising and scraping aside, it was a wonderful holiday in August, and we got to experience Germany, Belgium, England, and then Scotland. We have deep connections in all four places, from family to close friends from my early blogging days I call chosen family; we also had the opportunity to meet new people who will now join the second list, and that always warms my heart. We were also very blessed to have mostly great weather, and to have the chance to see magnificent scenery and tourist sites in all four locations while we visited our circle of affection.
In London with our blogger friends Mark, Jilly, and Marietta, and a 10-year reunion.
In Ghent with the lovely Val and Koos, two blogger pals we have known over 10 years and have visited a few times.
Europe was a nervous place this summer, a result of growing tensions caused by acts of terrorism and a lingering fear of the outcome of upcoming American elections. We had friends and family who had worried about our decision to travel there, but I am of the belief that to not live your life is to let the bastards win. Our only change in terms of behaviour was to avoid large crowd gatherings, but there were no such events on the itinerary, unless one considers my going to see Biffy Clyro at a festival concert in Glasgow and the chance to see a Bundesliga game in Nuremberg in that category and there was no way I was giving those opportunities up. I felt the apprehension among people in Germany, Belgium, as well as in London, and it was jarring to see police and security with rifles and machine-guns at various points on our journey through those countries. Despite the general nervous quality I sometimes sensed around me, what I noticed was that on an individual and personal level, I had no difficulties whatsoever having chats with strangers on train platforms or other places where we were in transit or waiting for connections. One of my favourite parts of travelling is the opportunity to strike up spontaneous conversations with random people, and it warmed my heart to hear that many migrants, refugees, and immigrants in all three countries were living happy lives in their newly-adopted cities. It is sometimes sobering to realise that the media distorts and skews things so negatively, and that you can dismiss fear by just asking a few questions. As the child of a refugee (to Germany from Romania after WW2) and an immigrant (to Canada a few years later), I have long suspected that fear is a big fat liar and that there is a universal truth about humans: most of us want to live happy, productive lives, and that we want the best for the people we love. If nothing else, those random exchanges confirmed this notion of mine and made me even happier that we have disconnected our cable television and now avoid a lot of the toxic brainwashing from the mass media that passes as news these days and is likely to worsen before November.
We generally all love our families and want the best for them.
Our trip ended with ten days in my beloved Scotland, and it was there that I felt the calmest. I’m not sure why the land of the unicorns hasn’t succumbed to the same fear that seems to have gripped Europe and England, but even in the middle of the crowded Edinburgh festivals, there was an atmosphere of lightness and joy. It is perhaps because the country is smaller and boasts more unpopulated and isolated spaces, or just because the Scots are more welcoming as a people, but I delighted in the feeling of openness and acceptance wherever we went. I experienced the kindness of strangers often, but none so much as on Arran when I fell off the bicycle, and then three days later in Glasgow, when I sat on a shuttle bus by myself to head to the Biffy Clyro concert and a lovely pair of sisters took me under their wing so I didn’t have to attend the festival without a friend. Both were simple yet warm acts of random kindness that cemented my continued belief about the generosity of the Scots.
With my new friends at Bellahouston Park to see Biffy Clyro.
The magnificent isle of Arran, one of my favourite places on Earth.
We have now been back almost a month, and the scars and bruises from the accident have all but faded. It was a challenge once again to heal and redevelop my strength because our local pool was under repair within days of my return. Again, my privilege (in terms of time and financial resources) kicked in and I was able to find an alternative location to do my own thing, but I really missed the structure of the classes I take and the company of my fellow water babies. The pool has just reopened, and I am now back to my aquafit exercise routine among the small but close-knit group of friends I look forward to seeing a few times a week. The 7 lbs. I put on in Europe are gone, and it is comforting to know that I can be indulgent for a few weeks and then reset my body by returning to disciplined eating and regular fitness.
The daily food indulgences in Europe.
This bodes well for the last 15-20 lbs. that need to be shed, and it is comforting to recognise that I need exercise and a balanced diet to be at my best and at my happiest. If nothing else, the past year has taught me this and has also given me a realistic and positive blueprint for the rest of my life. If I can just keep the monkey off my back for a few more months now, all will be well.









6 comments:
What a summer you've had, Anne-Marie. It was so lovely to see you both in Ghent and great to follow your progress both before and after. It seems I've caught the falling bug though, so I hope we can both stop doing that! I'm glad you have recovered well! I am interested in your observations about the tensions in Europe. I must admit I do not really notice the tension so much myself, but then we live with it and in it...much as I did in South Africa during the troubles. It's something you get used to without even realising that the stress is there until it isn't. I think you're right about Scotland too. It's smaller, and it's also a bit off the beaten track when it comes to targets for terrorism. We in NL believe it's just a matter of time before one of our cities is targeted, but are very thankful nothing has happened as yet. Stay well as we go into autumn! I'm so looking forward to the book launch day! xxx
Thanks my lovely! Book launch day should be in the next couple of weeks with luck! xx
Shocking, absolutely shocking Anne-Marie that you failed to visit Ireland!
You are right the so called News sites do their very best to instil in their readers/viewers irrational fear. It makes them money and keeps people flowing towards them in the hope of some good news. So the best thing to do is to unplug and live happy.
If anything goes seriously belly up you will be told by the civil defence.
Your fall off your bike in Scotland really was nothing more than giving a token of your blood to the land :-) Well every native temporary or otherwise does that.
Hope to meet you in Ireland one day xx
Mel, I visited Ireland a few times in the 80s, including to attend my sister's wedding in 1989 to a Dubliner. I have promised myself to return one of these days, and will certainly make a point of meeting up with you when I do. Three years until I retire and there will be a lot of travelling time, I promise! xx
1989 !
I was living in Bangor, Co.Down then, we could have met I frequently mooched around down south .
Look forward in meeting you in 2019 then :-) xx
Mel, it's a date!
Post a Comment